Preparing for the Career Fair
Before the Event
At the Career Fair
- Prepare a curriculum vitae (CV) that highlights your skills and your experiences and that will set you apart from the other candidates.
- If you intend to apply for different types of positions, it is a good idea to bring several versions of your CV.
- Consult the Career Fair website (http://ebsi-sis-en.weebly.com) and study the list of employers that have confirmed their attendance (Students > List of employers).
- Visit the websites of the employers that are of interest to you in order to learn about their organization (nature of the organization, activities, number of employees, history, employment opportunities, projects, news, etc.).
- Make a list of questions you might want to ask the employers.
- What positions are available to recent graduates?
- What are you looking for in potential employees?
- What courses do you suggest taking in order to be competitive on the job market?
- How long have you worked for your organization? Why did you choose this position?
- Does your institution hire summer interns?
- What distinguishes your organization from others?
- What would a typical employee do in their first month at your organization?
At the Career Fair
- Dress for the Career Fair as you would for a job interview. Remember that first impressions are important.
- Prepare a short oral introduction that highlights your skills, your job experiences and your career objectives. Show interest in the organization by referring to the information you learned in your research.
- First, take the tour of the room and collect the documentation being offered by the employers. After consulting the materials, get warmed-up by going to speak to the employers that interest you the least. Finally, after you feel more at ease go speak to the employers that are of particular interest to you.